Bostik Black DIY Car Sealant
Bostik Car Silicone Sealant is a top-quality black silicone sealant ideal for providing a waterproof and durable seal for inside, outside and underneath the car.
APPLICATION AND USES
- Designed to seal joints, cracks and cavities inside, outside and underneath the car. This includes sealing leaking window joints and water hoses, low-temperature applications and replacing windscreens.
- Perfect for sealing purposes in and around the house where a black sealant is desired.
- Ideal for non-porous materials like ceramics, enamel, coated wood, canvas, aluminium, glass, porcelain, painted surfaces, stainless steel and some rubber.
- Suitable for certain plastics like epoxide, polyester, polycarbonates, Formica, polycarbonates, acrylics, polyacrylate, polystyrene, fibreglass and rigid PVC.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Resistant to UV rays and ageing.
- Waterproof and weather resistant.
- Resistant to chemicals, alcohol, soaps and detergents making it safe for repeated cleaning.
- Remains permanently flexible over an exceptional range of temperatures (-40° to 100° C).
- Low shrinkage.
- Exceptional colour fastness.
- Product Type: Automotive
- Sizes available: 90ml and 280ml
- Colour: Black
- 1 x Bostik Car Silicone Sealant
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
- Surfaces must be clean and dry.
- Ensure the surface is free from loose materials, grease, contaminants, dust and rust.
- Degrease surfaces like glass and metal with a solvent like acetone.
- Abrade plastic surfaces lightly with emery paper.
- Do not use alcohol-based cleaners to clean surfaces as this will adversely affect the curing of the sealant.
- If soaps or detergents are used to clean a surface it must be rinsed off thoroughly with clean water and dried completely.
- It is preferable to use backing material when sealing deep cavities.
- Ensure that any paint has dried before applying the sealant and take note that you cannot paint over the sealant.
- Delamination of the silicone might be the result of a poorly prepared surface.
Directions for use
- After surface preparation use masking tape to get a clean, even sealant line. The masking tape will also eliminate cleaning problems which are especially a problem on porous surfaces. The tape must be removed after application before the sealant skins.
- 90 ml tube: remove the cap and pierce the seal with the reverse side of the cap. Cut the nozzle to the size you desire the silicone beads to be and screw it onto the tube. Apply silicone at a slight angle in a continuous bead to the prepared joint. Remove and wipe the nozzle clean after use and replace the cap firmly.
- 280 ml cartridge: Cut the tip off the cartridge and screw the nozzle on. Cut the tip of the nozzle at an angle to achieve the desired bead size. Apply the silicone with a caulking gun in a continuous bead to the prepared joint.
- Remove unwanted silicone immediately.
- Use a flat or rounded tool to smooth down the silicone immediately after application (within 3-5 minutes) before skin formation occurs.
Drying and curing time
- The sealant will be touch dry in 45 minutes.
- It will be fully cured in approximately 48 hours.
- Use a clean cloth soaked in a solvent like turpentine or paraffin to remove uncured silicone from hands or tools.
- When uncured silicone is removed from clothes check the colour fastness of the fabric first.
- Cured silicone can only be removed mechanically with a sharp knife or chemically with Bostik silicone stripper.
HANDLING AND STORAGE
- Store in a dry place that has a temperature of below 25° C.
- Store in its original moisture-proof container.
- If stored correctly the product has a shelf life of at least 12 months.
- It might still be useable after the shelf life has expired, but it is recommended that a test should be performed to ensure the product is still workable and uncured.
MAINTENANCE AND CARE
- The shelf life of the opened product can be prolonged by removing the nozzle and placing a piece of plastic over the cartridge tip after which the nozzle can be screwed back on.
- It can also be prolonged by inserting a large screw into the nozzle tip.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Avoid direct contact with skin and eyes. Should the adhesive come into contact with skin or eyes wash it off immediately with water. If irritation or discomfort persists, seek medical attention immediately.
- Ensure that the work area is well ventilated.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Do not swallow the adhesive.
- May release flammable vapours while in an uncured state. Keep away from flames.
- After the silicone is cured it can be handled without health risk.
WARNINGS AND LIMITATIONS
- The sealant is not appropriate for use on cylinder head gaskets or for parts permanently exposed to fuel.
- Not suitable for alkaline surfaces like concrete, asbestos, marble, fibrous cement and plaster.
- May cause corrosion if used on some metals like mild steel, copper, galvanized iron, zinc, lead, tin or brass.
- Cannot be overpainted.
- Will cause desilvering if used on the backs of mirrors.
- Will discolour natural stone like marble, quartzite and granite.
- There are some plastics it will not adhere to like polyethene, Teflon and polypropylene.
- The sealant might become discoloured if it comes into contact with organic elastomers that bleed oil or solvents like EPDM, Neoprene, APTK and Bituminous surfaces.
- The cure rate will be affected adversely if applied when the humidity is below 10%.
- Since the sealant contains fungicide it is not suitable for fish tanks or aquariums.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.