Don't Wait Until Algae and Other Debris Are Visible to Schedule Roof Washing
A homeowner should never wait until they see lines of algae or moss along roofing shingles or roof edges to schedule power washing for their home. Note why that is, and when you should have your home’s roof washed:
- Algae, moss, mold, and mildew grow best in damp, dark spaces, away from air and sunlight. For a residential roof, these spaces are typically under and around roofing tiles and shingles, in areas unseen from below or during casual visual inspection.
- Once algae and other such debris begin to form, they will grow and spread, dislodging and softening roofing tiles. The more humid the environment, the faster these contaminants will increase so that a roof then suffers quite a bit of damage in a short amount of time.
- Consistent washing of a roof will remove wet leaves, twigs, seeds, and other debris that can cause algae, mold, and other contaminants to grow in the first place! Regular power washing can then prevent damage to the roof and ensure it always looks its best.
- Washing a roof after a particularly stormy time of the year will remove all storm residue and debris that can lead to mold, moss, and other buildups.
There are many benefits to cleaning your roof regularly. These benefits may include, reducing the risks of leaks, rust, and other possible damages. It also preserves the life of roof shingles.
Regular cleaning of your roof will remove
- Algae, molt, mildew, and moss. These living organisms feed off the home’s shingles.
- Algae are also prone to grow in-between and under the shingles dislodging the tiles and making them prone to break and/or fall off during harsh weather conditions.
- Soot, pollution, acid rain residue, bird droppings, lawn care chemicals, and other debris can dry out shingles and cause them to become brittle.
- Seed, twigs, an
- d leaves can cause rust and leaks
When it comes to cleaning your roof, you will need the following:
- High-pressure cleaner (Not recommended for very old roofs)
- All-purpose cleaner
- Adjustable hoses
- Gutter cleaner
- Algae end moss removal
- Scrub brushes and sponges
- Safety harness
- Protective glasses